Application deadline: Noon on 14 September 2015 (Monday)
Quantity: To be decided by Donor [APSS will nominate 2 students, 1 for Fellowship and 1 for Scholarship, to compete with nominees of other PolyU departments and institutions]
Amount: Fellowship - HK$50,000- each; Scholarship HK$40,000- each
-[Fellowship] full-time postgraduate research students undertaking UGC-funded / publicly-funded courses in 2015/16; (registered for a master degree on/after 1.7.2014 or a doctorate degree on/after 1.7.2013) OR [Scholarship] full-time students undertaking BASW(ft), BASPA(ft), HDSW;
-non-year-one student for undergraduate and higher diploma students;
- have the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong or are permitted to stay in Hong Kong without restriction;
- have resided in Hong Kong for at least three years as at 1.9.2015;
- have special educational needs as referred to in the Hong Kong Rehabilitation Programme Plan released by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government;
- not be engaged in full-time employment; and
- not be nominated for the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Scholarships for Undergraduate and Diploma Students 2015/16 or the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowships for Postgraduate Research Students 2015/16.
(i)standards of academic achievements and intellectual qualities relative to their individual disabilities;
(ii) leadership qualities as demonstrated in their involvement in extra-curricular activities and/or community services;
(iii) proficiency in the language in which the course / research is undertaken; and
(iv) other personal qualities and potentials, including expected future contribution to Hong Kong.
The following criteria will also be considered by the Council in selecting postgraduate candidates for the fellowship
(i) strategic importance of the research to the social, economic and technological development of Hong Kong;
(ii) whether or not the research has been or is being done in Hong Kong; and
(iii) possible completion of the research within 2 years for a master degree or 3 years for a doctorate degree.
1. APSS Scholarship Selection Panel will review all applications and nominate 2 student to FHSS [1 for Fellowship and 1 for Scholarship];
2. FHSS will review nominations from departments and nominate 2 student to FHSS [1 for Fellowship and 1 for Scholarship] to PolyU;
3. PolyU (via SSRL, Centre STARS) will review nominations from faculties and nominate 4 students to Donor;
4. Donor representatives (The Council) will review nominations from 8 institutions and invite selected nominees for interview in December 2015.
5. Final awardee is subject to the donors’ approval; and the donors reserve the right to withdraw the scholarships in case there is no deserving candidate or any other unforeseen circumstances;
6. Awardees will receive notification from SAO on payment arrangement.
The application documents must be well-typed and submitted IN HARD COPY to APSS General Office (HJ 402) by noon on 14 September 2015, Monday. During non-office hours, applicants should place their applicant documents to the mailbox next to the counter. The application documents include:
1. *Completed Application Form with true signature on page 3 (Fellowship: click HERE to download; Scholarship: click HERE to download)
2. *Copy of recent assessment result record OR academic transcript;
3. Other supporting documents: (optional but highly preferred as reference)
3.1.List of non-academic achievement and personal statement (click http://apss.polyu.edu.hk/files/b_-_list_of_non-academic_achievement.doc to download);
3.2 Copy of certificates or proof on extra-curricular activities and community services;
3.3 Proof of financial needs (eg: government grants, loans, social security assistance etc)
(Item with * is compulsory.)
APSS will send an acknowledge email upon the receipt of application. If you hesitate whether the application is well received, please contact us ASAP. Late application will not be considered.
Applicants who do not receive notification by December 2015 should consider their applications unsuccessful.
(a) the recipient accepts that the scholarship may be terminated at any time if and when his/her performance as reported by the institution is considered by the Council as unsatisfactory or when he/she for any reason ceases to be a full-time undergraduate / diploma student;
(b) the recipient undertakes to seek the Council’s prior approval if he/she wishes to alter the study programme from that specified in the nomination form. Otherwise he/she may be required by the Council to repay the scholarship money; and
(c) the recipient has to abide by any other conditions laid down by the Council.
Email to email@example.com or contact APSS colleagues at 2766 5742 (Miss Emily SIU).