The Department of Applied Social Sciences of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a major center for the education of human service professionals working in the social work, pre-primary education, social policy & administration and school guidance & counseling professions.
Research Degree Programmes (MPhil/PhD)
The Department offers full-time and part-time research degree programmes, which covers Family, Children and Youth, Psychology and Mental Health, Social Development and Social Theory, Social Policy, Social Planning and Community Studies, Social Welfare, Social Work and Human Services.
Normal Period of Study
Full-time: 24 months
Part-time: 48 months
Full-time: 36 months (or 48 months for students admitted with a Bachelor’s degree)
Part-time: 72 months (or 96 months for students admitted with a Bachelor’s degree)
General qualifications for admission
The basic requirements for the MPhil and PhD programmes are:
(a) Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- A Bachelor’s degree with first or second class honours from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University or from another recognized university; or other academic qualifications which are deemed to be equivalent.
(b) Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- A postgraduate degree containing a significant research component, such as a dissertation, conferred by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University or another recognized university.
Application procedures & supporting documents
Submission of application form and documentary proof of academic qualification and English Language Proficiency:
1. Online application: All applications have to be sumitted by online application via Internet at the PolyU Research Office's website
2. Documentary proof of academic qualification: Certificates and academic transcripts of undergraduate and postgraduate studies should be submitted to the Research Office via the on-line application system.
3. English language proficiency: For those who have not obtained a degree from a recognized university of which the language of instruction is English, they have to satisfy the minimum English proficiency requirements specified by the University. For details, please refer to Research Office's website
4. Research Proposal Form RDC/1A
Deadline for application submission is 31st December every year.
Please contact Ms Shirley Hui at 2766 4234 or e-mail to Ms Fanny CHENG at email@example.com for enquiry of this programme.